Friday, 27 February 2009

Book Review: Remember Me? By Sophie Kinsella

I was looking for a light read and 'Remember me?' caught my attention immediately. Maybe it was the author's name (I have not read Sophie Kinsella's famous "Shopaholic" series but have heard a lot about them) or the pleasant yellow book cover. Anyway I read the summary on the back cover..and found it interesting. So I bought it (at Rs.214/- after reduction).

Soon I started reading it and found myself reaching 'The End' page at top speed! In short, this novel was good (I wouldn't have bothered to write a review if it was bad in the first place).

I found the book to be a really easy read with lots of humour, a bit of sadness, a little about friendship and relationships and a lot about how one copes with a circumstance. And of course there is the romance part. It had a gripping story line with not even a single boring page.

Entirely narrated in the first person, the story is about an average-looking girl called Lexi Smart. She has an unimpressive job and an unimpressive relationship with her boyfriend whom everyone calls Loser Dave! On a particularly bad day, when she heroically tries to catch a taxi, she falls down and bumps her head.

And she wakes up in a hospital. Her memory is foggy and soon she is in for a shock. It has been three years since she met with the accident and in reality, she is in the hospital due to another accident, and a car accident at that (as far as she can remember she has never even tried to drive a car!). In short, she has absolutely no idea what happened in her life during three precious years!!

But on the good side- she is no longer snaggletooth (as was her nickname) but totally gorgeous! And she is rich and married to a millionaire!! Life couldn't get better than this, can it??

But soon she realises everything is not as it seems to be... She could not help but wonder what the heck could have happened during those three years??

With humour as the main element, Sophie Kinsella takes us through Lexi's life and holds us in suspense as much as Lexi. Bit by bit the pieces of her life come together and we slowly get to see the whole picture. Great writing!

This story, I believe, makes us think of how circumstances could change people, so much so that they could acquire a totally different personality. And it also gives the message that never to give up, no matter how messy the path appears to be... Hmm..something to keep in mind.

So what do you think? Are you going to read it or what? Hope you would Remember me and tell me what you think:-D

6 comments:

Carole said...

I was given this book by a friend who enjoyed it.....but its not my usual sort of book so I thought I would probably give it to charity without reading it, but after reading your review I may just keep it!

Novice Writer said...

Maybe you could give it to charity, AFTER reading it:-) Someone else might enjoy it too then..Thanks for visiting:-)

Swubird said...

Novice Writer:

This isn't the sort of book I generally read. However, I thought you did a very good job with your review. In fact, even though I haven't read it myself, I would happily recommend it to to others. Well done.

Happy trails

destiny's child... said...

hey!
I really feel like reading this after reading your review...
Ok, so you need to bring me two books now ;)
good job :)

chica said...

I've read "Confessions of a Shopaholic" and found it entirely entertaining. Will definitely pick this one up next when in need of a quick fun fix.

Thanks for visiting my blog.

Novice Writer said...

Thank you Swubird..Glad that you liked my review

Yea you should read it Destiny's Child..It is a very entertaining read

Chica, I recently read Confessions of a Shopaholic and loved it! It was so funny:-) I am sure you will like this book as well:-)