Saturday, 3 January 2009

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

First of all let me wish you all a very HAPPY NEW YEAR! Hope this year is filled with happiness, peace and prosperity... Guess what? I got a job as Copywriter in a reputed company here. So now I am a busy bee as well:-)


OK, Enough blabbering! I have run out of excuses and here is a review for you!

Book: Twilight
Author: Stephenie Meyer
Genre: Fiction, Romance, A tiny bit of horror


I am sure everybody has heard about Twilight by now. It is first and foremost a love story. Only then does it touch on the tiny bit of horror. So, the story line.. A teenage girl and boy falls in love. But how can things go smoothly if the boy turns out to be a vampire?!

The heroine of the story, Bella Swan is thoroughly confused about this unimaginable complication but nevertheless could not imagine a life without this complication. Edward Cullen is equally attracted (to her as well as her blood!) and worried because loving Bella might result in him accidentally killing her!! Obviously love isn’t just fun and games for these two!!

I think that the book was widely accepted because of its great narration on the longing, the restriction and the desperation in Bella and Edward's romance- you know, the forbidden love theme.. The story does not go in a break neck speed, but rather focuses on revealing slowly the hidden mysteries behind the Cullen family.. as well as Bella.. (ooh there is suspense there)

Oh yea, the Cullen family. If you thought one vampire was enough to grab your full attention, there are a few more living in the small town of Forks. Carlisle, Esme, Alice, Jasper, Rosaline and Emmett all belong to the Cullen family and walk about just as ordinary people. But the good thing about them is that, hmm, they are good. That is they do not drink human blood. That is a relief, right? (But not for the animals:-s, you know what I mean?).

What I liked about Bella's character is that she is very affectionate and sincere. She takes great care of her parents Charlie and Renee. There is a funny side to her as well in that she is darn clumsy and attracts trouble and accidents like a magnet (Now can you imagine, how she could have loved a mere human?). The book clearly depicts the teenage rebellion, the immaturity, the hormones and all that. (Call me old fashioned, but I really did not like Bella calling her parents by name:-( Quite disappointing.)

About Edward, he is a vampire, much more mature, (since he has been seventeen ‘for a while’), loving and sincere. He turns out to be way overprotective in the second book (which gets on Bella’s nerves and mine when I read the book). And he is inhumanly handsome and in Bella’s words looks like an ‘angel’ (er..who drinks blood that is!)

There are three more books in the series- New Moon, Eclipse and Breaking Dawn. I have only the last book to go now. Of the three, I liked Twilight the best.

I saw the Twilight movie trailer and thought that Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart were the most appropriate people for the story. Does anybody know whether it will get released in India? Or did I simply miss it?

My Rating for Twilight is 4 1/2 stars

3 comments:

Swubird said...

Novice Writer:

You have written a very good movie review. Vampires are not my cup of tea, but I certainly passed it along to a friend.

Happy trails.

Paul said...

Am delighted to read your review of Twilight because I've heard so many people talk about it. Nice one. Thanks.

Novice Writer said...

Thank you very much Swubird and Paul for stopping by.