Tuesday, 20 November 2007

The Agatha Christie craze

Have you read any novels by the great English mystery writer Agatha Christie?? I have and I absolutely adore them! I will tell you how it all started..

One bright morning ( atleast 10 years back) my father and I set out for a book exhibition. It was a sort of ritual- if there was an exhibition in town we were sure to visit it. However I was not a total bookworm; I just loved browsing around bookshops and buying Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys. So, there I was fooling around with my usual selection of books when we met a Professor who was my father's friend. Seeing the books in my hand, he suggested that it was time to try some novels by Agatha Christie. The name did not ring a bell, but anyway I decided to give it a try and randomly selected 'Hickory Dickory Dock'.

I read the book and was hooked. It was not her best novel, but it was one of the best books I had read! Lots of characters, lots of side plots and no way of guessing the killer! I have no idea how she came up with such great ideas!

I still have a few more novels to read( I am a very slow reader:-D). Yesterday I finished reading 'After the funeral' . Will give it four stars. The story is about a series of events after the funeral of a wealthy man named Richard Abernethie. It was a normal death and no one thought more of it (except for the inheritance)until his youngest sister, Cora Lansquenet blurted out 'But he was murdered, wasn’t he?.’ It was an absurd thing to say and it unsettled the minds of the family members.

Strangely, Cora is found murdered in her house the very next day...

What do you think? Isn't it exciting??

If you need more info about Agatha Christie visit http://uk.agathachristie.com/site/home/

More about Hercule Poirot http://www.poirot.us/

1 comments:

Katy said...

I cannot find anymore Christie's books that I have not read! I wish she was still alive!

I like your reviews.

I've reviewed other books on my blog. Check my category under Book Reviews.